At the time Ingenuity started working with the leadership team at Rudler, PSC, this mid-sized CPA firm’s managing shareholder already anticipated a longer tenure before he could exit. However, talent retention and client loyalty were strong due to a dedication to flexible schedules and community involvement.
The firm really needed a consistent focus on marketing and business development to remain independent — avoiding the merger trend among CPA firms in their city.
Working with leadership and niche team members, Ingenuity has assisted with the following:
- Competitive research and differentiation
- Brand messaging and visual brand refresh with new tagline
- Training on distinct brand messages and leadership types
- Website updates to emphasize niches, improve SEO, build out careers pages and improve bios
- Leadership coaching
- A process for client highlighter meetings to expand cross-servicing
- Public relations support, including award copy review
- Eblast copywriting and content strategy
Internally, Rudler revived its coop program to introduce interns to the firm culture and services — resulting in an 85% retention rate for interns offered a full-time position. The firm leadership developed a three-year strategic plan and positioned emerging leaders for the partnership track. Involvement in an international accounting alliance, BKR International, opened opportunities for new business through referrals from other independent public accounting firms across the country. In the coming year, technology investments will allow for the firm’s first remote employee in Baltimore, Maryland.
Today, Rudler has a solid foundation to remain independent: talent, marketing savvy, technology investment and client loyalty.